Homeowner association (HOA) board members can make a difference in their neighborhoods by following these five community management tips:
1. Create a Vision - Board members can provide and seek input regarding what the ideal neighborhood should look like. As the brainstorming continues among board members and residents, a vision will begin to surface and a statement can be developed.
2. Focus on Achieving Core Goals -- The vision statement provides a high-level road map to help plot the board’s short- and long-term goals.
3. Communicate With Residents – To encourage participation, HOA boards must keep residents informed and involved throughout the transformational process
4. Cultivate Leaders – To help keep the HOA vibrant, the board should develop formal succession plans to groom potential new leaders and plan the transfer of valuable information.
5. Don’t Give Up -- Accomplishing the HOA’s goals will take time, hard work, creativity and a lot of commitment of the board and residents.
Working together, the HOA will be transformed into a community where everyone wants to live – and the neighborhood of every member’s dream. Continue to read the Associated Asset Management Blog for information about Community Management.